Plan Your Visit to Archives and Special Collections
Before You Visit
Always Request Materials in Advance
Whether dropping by or arriving for a planned visit, please request materials in advance. Many of our materials are stored offsite and need to be retrieved prior to visiting Archives and Special Collections. We recommend requesting items a minimum of 48 business hours in advance of your visit. Offsite materials may need to be requested up to 9 days before your visit depending on where the item is stored.
Prior to your visit, check the status of your request(s) in Aeon to confirm the item(s) are onsite and available in the reading room.
Archives and Special Collections welcomes walk-ins Monday-Friday, 10:00 am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-3:00pm.
Tours in Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections staff are pleased to present rare and archival materials to groups from UC Davis and outside of campus. We work closely with groups to tailor sessions to specific interests and learning goals, and aim to show how Archives and Special Collections can spark the imagination and inspire deeper learning.
Tours of Archives and Special Collections can be arranged for small groups consisting of five or fewer people during our operating hours:
- Reading Room and Closed Stacks: No more than five (5) people for tours of the closed stacks*
- Classroom Space: no more than 24 people, including the tour guide/librarian/archivist, for tours held in the classroom
We require a minimum of two weeks’ notice for tours. To schedule a tour, please contact us at SpecColl@ucdavis.edu
*Groups larger than five for tours of the closed stacks require approval from the department Head.
On the Day of Your Visit
Check-in with staff that you have arrived for your appointment. You will need:
- Photo ID
- Face covering (strongly recommended)
Reading Room Expectations
As a patron in the Archives and Special Collections Reading Room, you will:
- Be provided a locker and a seat for use during your visit
- Have access to a public computer
- Have Wi-Fi access
- Be expected to observe the floor signs and social distancing in the reading room
- Be able to request additional materials for same day use if they are stored onsite