Making the Library Accessible for Everyone
We are committed to providing a safe and accessible space for everyone — wherever and however you interact with the library.
Visiting the Library
To support students and other library visitors with disabilities:
- Reservable study rooms are available at Shields Library, including in the 24-Hour Study Room area, and at Blaisdell Medical Library.
- Service animals are permitted in all library buildings. Consistent with UC Davis campus policy, a service animal is a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability.
Library Materials and Research Help
To provide all library users with equal access to library materials and research support, we offer:
- Librarian research consultations using assistive technology
- Assistance retrieving books, materials and other physical items
- Access to full-text digitized books for people with a visual or print disability
For more details, go to:
Services for People with Disabilities
For Your Safety
We all have a role to play in keeping ourselves, our belongings and our community safe. Here are a few things you can do.
Protect Your Belongings
Never leave valuable items unattended, even for a short time. Self-service charging lockers are available on the first floor of Shields Library if you need to charge your computer or phone.
Access to 24/7 Study Spaces
The 24-Hour Study Room at Shields Library and Blaisdell Medical Library are only open via AggieCard or UC Davis Health badge access.
Do not let anyone “tailgate” or follow you through these library doors. For everyone’s safety, each person must swipe their own ID.
Stay Safe After Dark
When leaving the library late at night:
- Don’t let yourself be distracted by devices while walking.
- Avoid wearing headphones so you can hear what is going on around you.
- Walk home with friends if possible.
If You See Something, Say Something
If you notice anything suspicious, let us know. We are here to help.
- The Shields Library Circulation Desk is always staffed during library open hours.
- The Information Desk at Blaisdell Medical Library is staffed during regular business hours.
In an emergency, call 911.
Studying late? The UC Davis Police offer free, safe transportation home on both the Davis and Sacramento campuses.
- Contact Safe Rides (530-754-COPS) on the Davis campus. Campus telephones are available in the 24-Hour Study Room and just inside the main entrance of Shields Library.
- Use the safety escort ride program when the UC Davis Health shuttle is not running. Contact the safety escort service through UC Davis police dispatch at 916-734-2555.