Resources for Ethnonationalism and White Supremacy
This bibliography is part of the programming by the Campus Community Book Project (CCBP) for its 2023-2024 discussion topic: Ethnonationalism and White Supremacy.
The titles offer additional reading to the Project’s featured book, Hate in the Homeland: The New Global Far Right by Cynthia Miller-Idriss, divided into subtopics: General, Nationalism, and White Racism. Most of the titles can be found in the UC Davis Library by using the UC Library Search tool on the library homepage. If the UC Davis Library does not have it, the item can be requested through the interlibrary loan service available to the UC Davis community.
- Harris, N. B. (2018). The Deepest Well: Healing the Long-Term Effects of Childhood Trauma and Adversity. Houghton, Mifflin, Harcourt.
- Hinton, E. (2016). From the War on Poverty to the War on Crime: The Making of Mass Incarceration in America. Harvard University Press.
- Kearse, B. (2020). The Other Madisons: The Lost History of a President’s Black Family. Houghton, Mifflin, Harcourt.
- Morton, J. (2019). Moving Up Without Losing Your Way. Princeton University Press.
- Sandel, M. J. (2020). The Tyranny of Merit–What’s Become of the Common Good? Farrar, Straus, and Giroux.
- Connor, W. (1993). Ethnonationalism: The Quest for Understanding (p. 264). Princeton University Press.
- Darby, S. (2018). Sisters in Hate: American Women on the Front Lines of White Nationalism. Little, Brown, and Company.
- DeGruy Leary, J. (2005). Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome: America’s Legacy of Enduring Injury and Healing. Joy DeGruy Publications.
- Fozdar, F., & Low, M. (2015). ‘They have to abide by our laws … and stuff’: ethnonationalism masquerading as civic nationalism. Nations and Nationalism, 21(3), 524–543. https://doi.org/10.1111/nana.12128
- Hall, S. (2017). The Fateful Triangle: Race, Ethnicity, Nation. Harvard University Press.
- Hannah-Jones, N., Roper, C., Silverman, I., & Silverstein, J. (Eds.). (2021). The 1619 Project: A New Origin Story. One World.
- Kaufmann, E. (2019). Whiteshift: Populism, Immigration, and the Future of White Majorities. Abrams Press.
- Kemp, A. (2012). Folk and nation : ethnonationalism explained. Ostara Publications.
- Kendzior, S. (2015). The View from Flyover Country: Dispatches from the Forgotten America. Flatiron Books.
- MacWilliams, M. C. (2020). ON FASCISM: 12 Lessons from American History. St. Martin’s Publishing Group.
- Marshall, T. (2018). A Flag Worth Dying For: The Power and Politics of National Symbols. Scribner.
- Moffett, M. (2019). The Human Swarm: How Our Societies Arise, Thrive, and Fall. Basic Books.
- Packer, G. (2021). Last Best Hope: America in Crisis and Renewal . Farrar, Straus, Giroux.
- Saslow, E. (2018). Rising Out of Hatred: The Awakening of a Former White Nationalist. Doubleday.
- Seidel, A. (2021). The Founding Myth: Why Christian Nationalism is Un-American. Sterling.
- Smith, A. D. (1991). National Identity. University of Nevada Press.
- Solomon, J., Kaplan, D., & Hancock, L. E. (2019). Expressions of american white ethnonationalism in support for “blue lives matter.” Geopolitics, 1–21. https://doi.org/10.1080/14650045.2019.1642876
- Stewart, K. (2020). The Power Worshippers: Inside the Dangerous Rise of Religious Nationalism. Bloomsbury Publishing.
- Tamir, Y. (2019). Why Nationalism. Princeton University Press.
- Thompson, J. (2022). Ethnonationalism and White immigration attitudes. Nations and Nationalism, 28(1), 31–46. https://doi.org/10.1111/nana.12754
- Toumani, M. (2014). There Was and There Was Not: A Journey through Hate and Possibility in turkey, Armenia, and Beyond. Metropolitan Books.
- Alexander, M. (2010). The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness. New Press.
- Anderson, A. (2021). Black Under. Black Lawrence Press.
- Ball, E. (2020). Life of a Klansman: a family history in white supremacy. Farra, Straus and Giroux.
- Belew, K. (2018). Bring the war home: The White Power Movement and Paramilitary America. Harvard University Press.
- Belew, K., & Gutierrez, R. A. (2021). A Field Guide to White Supremacy. University of California Press.
- Cole, O. (2023). The Truth About White Lies. Little, Brown, and Company.
- DiAngelo, R. (2018). White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism. Beacon Press.
- Fleming, C. M. (2023). Rise Up!: How you can join the fight against white supremacy. Square Fish.
- Hill Fletcher, J. (2017). The Sin of White Supremacy: Christianity, Racism, and Religious Diversity in America. Orbis.
- Hill, J. H. (2008). The Everyday Language of White Racism (New Edition). Wiley-Blackwell.
- Hamid, M. (2022). The Last White Man. Riverhead Books.
- Jacobson, M. (1998). Whiteness of a Different Color: European Immigrants and the Alchemy of Race. Harvard University Press.
- Kivel, P. (1995). Uprooting Racism: How White People Can work for Racial Justice. New Society Publishers.
- Loewen, J. W. (2020). Sundown towns: A Hidden Dimension of American Racism. New Press.
- Metzl, J. M. (2019). Dying of Whiteness: How the Politics of Racial Resentment is Killing America’s Heartland.
- Mikulich, A. (2022). Unlearning White Supremacy: A Spirituality for Racial Liberation (3rd ed.). Catholic Foreign Mission Society of America, Inc.
- Miller-Idriss, C. (2020). Hate in the Homeland: The New Global Far Right. Princeton University Press.
- Oluo, I. (2020). Mediocre: The Dangerous Legacy of White Male America. Basic Books.
- Razack, S. H. (2022). Nothing Has To Make Sense. University of Minnesota Press.
- Roberts, D. (1997). Killing the Black Body: Race, Reproduction, and the Meaning of Liberty. Pantheon Books.
- Saad, L. (2020). Me and White Supremacy. Sourcebooks.
- Smith, C. (2021). How the Word is Passed: A Reckoning with tthe History of Slavery Across America. Little, Brown, and Company.
- Stallworth, R. (2018). Black Klansman: Race, hate, and the undercover investigation of a lifetime. Flatiron Books.
- Surin, E. S. (2020). When My Body Was A Clinched Fist. Black Lawrence Press.
- Weed, E. (2017). The Religion of White Supremacy in the United States (Religion and Race) (1st ed.). Lexington Books.
- Zucchino, D. (2020). Wilmington’s Lie: The Murderous Coup of 1898 and the Rise of White Supremacy. Atlantic Monthly Press