Strategic Plan: Priority 5
Spark an organizational culture rooted in empathy and transparency to enable an atmosphere of well-being and growth
The library will inclusively and equitably aid our employees in achieving professional and individual excellence. We will acknowledge our colleagues as “whole people,” and meet them with empathy and honesty in a place of safety and trust to create community. We know that respect contributes to a culture of innovation: knowing there is an expectation of mutual respect allows team members to feel comfortable speaking up and sharing new ideas, inspiring a spirit of innovation, risk taking, and development.
Goal 5.1: Promote morale, wellness and effectiveness for all library employees
- Promote campus resources to enhance library employee wellness.
- Honor and celebrate our successes within the library organization.
- Explore opportunities to make employee work spaces more welcoming and comfortable.
Goal 5.2: Cultivate strong relationships and trust throughout the library workforce at all levels and at all locations
- Implement best practices for collaborating asynchronously and when working at geographically distributed sites.
- Develop best practices for assembling library task forces and committees using an equity lens.
- Formalize a framework for library administration to gather input and feedback from employees and to share information broadly on the priorities and activities of all library units and committees on a regular basis.
- Create and implement networking and collaboration opportunities across the library matrix.
- Foster team learning and growth by supporting individuals to develop cultural competence and the ability to have dialogue and skillful discussions.
Goal 5.3: Hire, empower and retain a diverse workforce that better reflects the communities that we serve
- Review our hiring and onboarding practices to identify and implement potential improvements.
- Create a multi-year recruitment plan for vacant positions that is shared with all library employees.
- Implement and harmonize retention efforts across the library.
- Promote the ongoing development of all library employees.
Supports the idea to “Identify, attract and retain a diverse faculty and staff” under Goal 3 of the UC Davis Strategic Plan, To Boldly Go.
Goal 5.4: Provide and support growth opportunities for all library employees around diversity, equity and inclusion
- Create capacity for the library by defining and recruiting a career position to play a leadership role in the library’s organizational effectiveness, especially in the areas of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Promote lifelong learning in the areas of diversity, equity and inclusion for library employees.