Manetti Shrem Book Connection
Shields Library (Lobby - Left Side of Main Staircase)
November 1, 2022 - June 26, 2023
The two bookshelves next to the Shields Library stair offer a rotating selection of books inspired by the Jan Shrem and Maria Manetti Shrem Museum of Art on the UC Davis Campus. Some titles were selected for their close connection to exhibits including works by or about many of the artists while others, less obviously connected, provide context and background or address topics and issues raised by the exhibits
The Manetti Shrem’s current exhibitions
Mike Henderson: Before the Fire, 1965-1985 (on view until June 25, 2023)
Roy De Forest: Habitats for Travelers
Selections from the Manetti Shrem Museum (on view until May 8, 2023)
Loie Hollowell: Tick Tock Belly Clock (on view until May 8, 2023)
Recent past exhibitions
Young, Gifted and Black
The Lumpkin-Boccuzzi Family Collection of Contemporary Art (on view until December 19, 2022)
The books on the Shields Lobby display
- Art workers” radical practice in the Vietnam War era. Bryan-Wilson, Julia, author. 2009.
- Black arts West: culture and struggle in postwar Los Angeles. Widener, Daniel, author. 2010.
- Art and race matters: the career of Robert Colescott. Contemporary Arts Center (Cincinnati, Ohio), issuing body. 2019
- From the Studio: recent painting and sculpture by 20 California artists. Oakland Museum. 1992
- Other sources: an American essay: [exhibition] celebrating America’s Bicentennial, San Francisco Art Institute, September 17-November 7, 1976. Villa, Carlos, curator. 1976.
- Local color: the Di Rosa collection of contempoarary California art. Di Rosa, Rene. 1999.
- California cool: art in Los Angeles, 1960-70s. National Gallery of Australia. Kinsman Jane, et al., authors. 2018.
- The American artist as printmaker : 23rd National Print Exhibition, the Brooklyn Museum National Print Exhibition (23rd : 1983-1984 : Brooklyn Museum) ; Brooklyn Museum.; Walker, Barry, 1945-2012. ©1983.
- Young Gifted and Black: a new generation of artists. The Lumpkin-Boccuzzi Family Collection of Contemporary Art. Sargent, Antwaun. 2020.
- The great mother : women, maternity, and power in art and visual culture, 1900-2015. Palazzo reale di Milano, host institution.; Fondazione Trussardi, organizer.; Gioni, Massimiliano, curator, editor.; Tenconi, Roberta, editor.; Metcalfe, Paul, translator. 2015
- Rising : young artists to keep an eye on! Salié, Olaf. ©2011
- Female body image in contemporary art : dieting, eating disorders, self-harm, and fatness.
- Newman, Emily L., 1982- author.2018
- Paul Mpagi Sepuya. Sepuya, Paul Mpagi, 1982- artist, photographer, interviewee. ; Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis, host institution.; Blaffer Art Museum at the University of Houston, host institution.; Al-Khudhairi, Wassan, interviewer. 2020
- Tenderheaded. University of Chicago. Renaissance Society, issuing body, host institution.; Rose Art Museum, host institution.; Øvstebø, Solveig, editor.; Packer, Jennifer, 1984- artist, interviewer.; Marshall, Kerry James, 1955- interviewee.; Packer, Jennifer, 1984-. 2018
- Not your mother’s mammy : the Black domestic worker in transatlantic women’s media. Walters, Tracey Lorraine, author. 2021
- Letters to the future : black women, radical writing. Hunt, Erica, 1955- editor.; Martin, Dawn Lundy, editor. 2018
- Black womanhood : images, icons, and ideologies of the African body. Hood Museum of Art.; Davis Museum and Cultural Center.; San Diego Museum of Art.; Thompson, Barbara, 1960-; Amadiume, Ifi, 1947-. ©2008
- The new black vanguard : photography between art and fashion. Sargent, Antwaun, curator. 2019
- Kerry James Marshall : mastry. Marshall, Kerry James, 1955- artist, author ; Molesworth, Helen, 1966- editor; Alteveer, Ian, writer of supplementary textual content; Roelstraete, Dieter, writer of supplementary textual content; Tattersall, Lanka, writer of supplementary textual content; Museum of Contemporary Art (Chicago, Ill.), host institution, issuing body; Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, N.Y.), host institution; Museum of Contemporary Art (Los Angeles, Calif.), host institution. 2016
- Glenn Ligon : Debris field, Notes for a poem on the Third World, Soleil nègre. Ligon, Glenn, 1960- ; Bordowitz, Gregg.; Nadal, Sara, 1971-; Galerie Chantal Crousel. c2018
- 30 Americans : Rubell Museum. Rubell Family Collection. ; North Carolina Museum of Art, host institution.; Corcoran Gallery of Art, host institution.; Chrysler Museum, host institution.; Milwaukee Art Museum, host institution.; Frist Center for the Visual Arts (Nashville, Tenn.), host institution.; Hobbs, Robert Carleton, 1946- contributor.; Ligon, Glenn, 1960- contributor.; Sirmans, Franklin, contributor.; Wallace, Michele, contributor. 2017
- Exhibiting blackness : African Americans and the American art museum. Cooks, Bridget R., 1972-2011. ©2011
- Black refractions : highlights from the Studio Museum in Harlem. Choi, Connie H., author. ; Studio Museum in Harlem, issuing body, publisher, organizer.; American Federation of Arts, issuing body, publisher, organizer.; Rizzoli editore, publisher.; Museum of the African Diaspora, host institution.; Gibbes Museum of Art (Charleston, S.C.), host institution.; Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, host institution.; Smith College. Museum of Art, host institution.; Charles and Emma Frye Art Museum, host institution.; Utah Museum of Fine Arts, host institution.; Jones, Kellie, 1959- author.; Golden, Thelma, author. 2019
- Radical presence : black performance in contemporary art. Cassel Oliver, Valerie, curator, author; Arning, Bill, author; Bäcker, Yona, author; Ochieng’ Nyongó, Tavia Amolo, author; Beckwith, Naomi, author; Sirmans, Franklin, author; Owens, Clifford, author; Contemporary Arts Museum, host institution; Grey Art Gallery, host institution; Studio Museum in Harlem, host institution; Walker Art Center, host institution. 2013
- True grit : American prints from 1900 to 1950. J. Paul Getty Museum, issuing body, host institution, organizer.; Schrader, Stephanie, contributor.; Glisson, James, contributor.; Nemerov, Alexander, contributor. 2019
- The art of print : three hundred years of printmaking. Jacklin, Elizabeth, author. 2021
- Mind & beast : contemporary artists and the animal kingdom : an exhibition. Garver, Thomas H ; Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum. 1992, ©1992
- Roy De Forest recent paintings, drawings, and constructions : Crocker Art Museum Association and Crocker Art Museum 1980 invitational exhibition. De Forest, Roy, 1930-2007. ; Crocker Art Museum. Association.; Crocker Art Museum. ©1980
- The art of the pastel. Burns, Thea, author. ; Saunier, Philippe, author. 2015
- Dada bodies : between battlefield and fairground. Adamowicz, Elza, author. 2019
- Visualizing the body in art, anatomy, and medicine since 1800 : models and modeling. Graciano, Andrew, editor.; Messbarger, Rebecca Marie, writer of introduction. 2019
- Through the prism of the senses : mediation and new realities of the body in contemporary performance technology, cognition and emergent research-creation methodologies. Choinière, Isabelle, author. ; Pitozzi, Enrico, author.; Davidson, Andrea, author. 2019
- Inappropriate bodies : art, design, and maternity. Buller, Rachel Epp, editor.; Reeve, Charles, 1962- editor. 2019
- Prime : art’s next generation. Morrill, Rebecca, editor.; Hunegs, Simon, editor. 2022
- Loie Hollowell : plumb line. Hollowell, Loie, 1983- artist, interviewee. ; Pace Gallery, host institution.; Cushing, Iris, 1983- writer of added text.; Enderby, Emma, writer of added text.; Auther, Elissa, interviewer. 2019.